Office of Student Veteran Services »

Veterans Work Study Program

Are you Receiving Veterans Benefits and a 3/4 or full-time student in a college degree, vocational, or professional program?

If so you may be able to “earn while you learn” with a VA work-study allowance.

Who is Eligible?
To be eligible you must be receiving benefits under one of the following education programs
  • Post-9/11 GI Bill®--(38 U.S.C. Chapter 33) (Veterans and transfer-of-entitlement recipients)
  • Montgomery GI Bill--Active Duty (38 U.S.C. Chapter 30)
  • REAP
  • Montgomery GI Bill--Selected Reserve (10 U.S.C. Chapter 1606)
  • Post-Vietnam Era Veterans' Educational Assistance Program (38 U.S.C. Chapter 32)
  • Dependents’ Educational Assistance Program (38 U.S.C. Chapter 35)
  • Eligible dependents under 38 U.S.C. Chapter 35 may use work study only while training in a State.
  • National Call to Service Participants
  • Vocational Rehabilitation & Employment Program -- (38 U.S.C. Chapter 31)
What is the Job?
In general the services you perform under a VA work-study program must be related to VA work. Examples of the work you will perform at El Centro are:
  • Preparing and processing of necessary papers and other documents
  • Assisting with dissemination of general information regarding Veteran benefits and/or services
  • Providing assistance to Veteran students and dependents with general inquiries about benefits via phone, email, or in person
  • Maintaining and organizing veteran-related files
The work you actually do will depend on what is needed each day

How Much May I Earn?
You’ll earn minimum wage, $7.25 per hour. However in addition to the immediate financial payoff you will be gaining valuable relevant job experience and contacts to build your resume and further your success.

How Do I Apply?
GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at