Credit by Examination
Earn college credit through Credit-by-Examination
El Centro College has developed "Credit by Exam" options. Registration materials are available. There is a $25 fee for each examination.
Who can test for credit-by-examination?
How many exams can I take? When will I receive scores? What grade can I earn?
- Students who already meet the requirements of a course by experience or training
- Students who are not currently enrolled in the actual course of the examination
- Students who are currently enrolled at the college that receives the credit-by-examination
- Final acceptance of credit-by-examination for specific degree purposes is determined by the degree-granting institution.
What are the courses for Credit by Examination? What are the tests that are offered?
- You may earn as many credits through examination as your ability permits and needs require.
- At least 25% of the credit hours required for graduation must be taken through instruction.
- Credit by examination may be attempted only one time for any given course.
- A minimum score must be earned in order for credit to be recorded.
- Those who successfully complete an approved credit-by-examination may choose to have either the grade earned or "CR" recorded on the transcript.
- Only letter grades of A, B, or C for credit-by-examination will be calculated into the GPA.
- Scores of "CR" are recorded to the transcript, but not factored into your GPA.
- The Registrar's Office has information about the courses for which credit-by-exam is available.
- Tests to take at El Centro: CLEP, Instructor Made Exams, AP
- Tests to take at BJP: DANTES