Spring 2020 classes have resumed online.
Please visit dcccd.edu/coronavirus for additional information and to learn how to prepare for online classes.


If you are an F-1 student who is out of status and intends to resume full time studies, you must make a written request to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) for reinstatement in order to continue your program in legal status. You should see an International Student Advisor immediately to file for reinstatement. Failure to file within five months of the violation could result in denial of your petition.

Possible reasons for a student to fall out of status may include:
  • Failed to enroll or complete a full time course load (during the Fall or Spring semesters)
  • Failed to notify USCIS of the new degree program or school
  • Remained in the U.S. beyond the authorized period of stay
  • Attended a school without authorization
  • Was issued an I-515 upon entry but did not send the required documents to USCIS
  • Otherwise violated the conditions of F-1status

In order to apply for Reinstatement, please provide the following: (Make sure you make copies for your records.)
  • Form I-539 completed. The International Center will supply the address in Part 1 of the form.
  • Money order payable to Department of Homeland Security. Please check current fees at: http://www.uscis.gov (link is external)
  • Original I-94, plus the copies of the front and the back.
  • Form I-901 (fee receipt – 2 copies, if required). This fee is required of students who have been out-of status for 5 months or more. Information can be found at http://www.FMJfee.com (link is external).
  • Copies of your financial statements for the most current three months.
  • Affidavit of Support (I-134) or Sponsor Letter. I-134 form is available at USCIS Website http://www.uscis.gov (link is external)
  • Letter from you with an explanation of why you fell out of status.
  • Any other documentation that supports your case.
  • Official academic transcripts from all U.S. colleges and universities.
  • Copies of your valid passport (signature page, visa page, and expiration pages).
  • OTHER: COS approval/ previous work authorization, etc.

After completing the steps above, please make an appointment with an international student advisor.

After all documents are reviewed, you will be contacted to sign your reinstatement I-20 and you will pick up your completed packet. You should mail it immediately to the USCIS address on the packet.