How to Use the Tutoring Center
- Come in! We’re located in A350.
- Bring your current El Centro College or Dallas County Community College system ID to the front desk.
- Tell us what you need.
- We will sign you in and direct you to your resources.
- Please remember that you must bring headphones to view any program or video that requires audio..
Tutoring Center Student ExpectationsWe must all do our parts to ensure that Learning Center remains a comfortable place for students to study. Therefore, we ask that you please adhere to the following expectations:
- You must present a valid El Centro College or Dallas County Community College system ID to use the center.
- Set all electronic devices to silent. If you must answer your cell phone, please leave the center before doing so.
- Computers in the center are for academic purposes only. Do not surf the internet or browse social websites from these computers.
- Do your part to keep the noise level low so others can concentrate.
- Be respectful towards peers, tutors, and staff; this is a shared space.
- Do not bring food or beverages without a lid into the center. The staff will occasionally provide popcorn to students who are signed into the center; we ask that this is the only food in the center.
- Come prepared to ask questions and discuss your assignments. The success of the visit depends on the collaboration between the student and the tutor. The tutor will not do the work for the student.
- Bring notes, books, and any other resources that the instructor may have provided as well as the assignment sheet.
- Respect the tutor. We are a drop-in service. Tutors walk around and assist students as soon as possible. If the student is waiting for a tutor, the student needs to work on something else until the tutor can assist
What a Learning Center Tutor Does
- Promotes independence in learning
- Facilitates students’ insights and light bulb moments
- Makes an effort to reinforce classroom methods
- Respects individual differences
- Refers students to resources
- Makes sure that the concepts are understood
- Models good learning habits
What a Learning Center Tutor Does Not Do
- Teach or lecture class material
- Contradict instructor’s methods
- Know everything
- Do the work for the student
- Help on Quizzes or Test
- Check answers