ECC Testing Center testing rooms are monitored by cameras and other computer screen monitoring software.
Instructional Test Guidelines
- A picture ID will be required
- Children are not allowed in the testing room, and they cannot be left unattended in the Testing Center area.
- Food and drink are not allowed in the testing room.
- Cell phones and electronic devices must be turned off and locked in ECC Testing Center lockers before entering the testing area.
- Lockers are located in the hall. All personal materials must be placed there before you can test.
- Once you enter the testing rooms, you cannot leave and return.
- No enrollment or placement test will be given without a signed Referral Form.
Testing Rooms are monitored by cameras and other computer screen monitoring software. Once you have started a test, you will not be allowed to leave and re-enter the test room, except in the case of an extreme emergency. If this does happen, your test will be taken and marked to indicate that you left the room. It will not be returned to you. Your instructor will be notified.
If it is determined that you have used unauthorized materials at your desk or that you are looking at a test other than your own, your test will be taken from you. Your academic records will be immediately blocked, and your instructor and other appropriate personnel will be notified.
In April 2013, a new set of requirements for enrollment into public colleges in Texas became law. The program, called Texas Success Initiative, TSI, replaced all THEA requirements. The state of Texas has mandated that every non-exempt student entering a public college or university must complete the TSI ASSESSMENT. A Pre-Assessment Activity, prior to taking the TSI Assessment, is required. Students must complete the TSI Pre-Assessment Activity and then take the TSI ASSESSMENT test before starting college.
The Texas Success Initiative or TSI ASSESSMENT requires assessment, remediation when necessary and advising of students who attend a public college or university in Texas. The TSI ASSESSMENT measures your skills in writing, reading, and math. Your writing skills are assessed in two possible parts, on multiple choice sentence structure, and if needed, a WRITTEN ESSAY. The TSI assessment is Adaptive and untimed. Please allow a minimum of 4-5 hours to complete the assessment. The entire test is computerized. It is not a paper and pencil test - even for the writing section.
Nearly all students are required to take exams before they are allowed to enroll in college courses. Texas has mandated the TSI assessment as the primary assessment for enrollment and placement. El Centro College allows as many attempts on retests for the TSI Assessment as students would like; at cost.
The following Assessment Practice Tests are provided to assist you in your preparation for the actual tests:
At the present time, El Centro does not administer the THEA.
For more information, visit the THEA website
or contact THEA at 512.927.5397.
Special Needs Guidelines
El Centro College Testing Center operates in compliance with the American Disabilities Act.
All Testing for Special Needs students will be done only after they have gone through the Special Needs/Disabilities Services Office.
Those students requiring Special Needs Examination to meet TSI Requirements will be administered the Companion test instead of the TSI Assessment.
This is a paper and pencil exam.
- A referral from the Disabilities Services Office is required.
- This exam must be mailed off to the publisher to be scored.
- Plan at least two weeks for the return of your scores.
- There is no charge for this examination.