Approved Subject Exams of the College Level Examination Program Credit by Exam
CLEP Exams are given on computer only. Examinees must have a CLEP Exam Form completed. Forms are available at the ECC Testing Center. Exams are administered by appointment only.
The El Centro Assessment Center is a "closed center": only El Centro students will be allowed to schedule appointments.
Who can take the CLEP Assessments?
- Students who already meet the requirements of a course by experience or training
- Students who are not currently in the actual course of the examination
- Students who are currently enrolled at the college that receives the credit-by-examination
How do I start? How do I register? How much does it cost?
- Go to the Assessment Center
- Sign a CLEP Application
- Available in the CLEP Registration Bulletin
- Available in the ECC Testing Center
- Pay a test administration service charge for each course
- $25 proctor fee to El Centro
- $80 payable to the College Board (July 1, 2012)
- $10 payable to the College Board : A fee for optional essays
- Present applications and payments to the ECC Testing Center
- Schedule a date through the ECC Testing Center to take the examination
- El Centro Testing Center does not administer CLEP exams in January, May or August (due to student registration and testing)
How many exams can I take? When will I receive scores? What grade can I earn?
- You may earn as many credits through examination as your ability permits and needs require.
- At least 25% of the credit hours required for graduation must be taken through instruction.
- Credit by examination may be attempted only one time in the DCCCD for any given course.
- It takes one month for your official scores to be available; for computerized exams an unofficial score is immediate.
- Computerized CLEP exams will award a "CR" for those passing; the option for a letter grade is currently not available.
- Scores of "CR" are recorded to the transcript, but not factored into your GPA.
CLEP General Exams are not approved.