Update: All El Centro campuses will be closed ALL DAY Thursday, March 5, due to bad weather. Day and evening classes will not be held.
How to Begin With STEM
STEM students attending El Centro College can benefit from services provided at the STEM Center.
To find out how to get started at El Centro College, use the link below:
After applying and choosing a STEM major (not including Health and Allied Programs) contact the STEM Center at 214-860-2062 or email STEM2ELCentro@dcccd.edu
Resources Available to Students at the STEM Center Include:
- Resume and Interviewing Workshops
- Career and Internship Opportunities
- College Transfer Assistance
- Academic Planning
- Scholarship and Financial Aid Information
- Study Labs
- Computer/Laptops Use
- Essay Writing Assistance
- Professional Development
- Free Printing
- For new students getting acclimated to college life
- Assistance in creating educational and career pathways for success
- Provide knowledge and understanding about STEM for student interest
- Support for students in their academic success within their STEM fields
- One-on-one services to assist students in meeting the credentials needed for university transfer
- Assist students explore universities, fill out applications, write college entrance essays, and search for available scholarships
- Host career days for college entrance information
- Continue to create academic pathways
The STEM Center at El Centro offers internships for students with proven interest in STEM fields. Here are the steps in obtaining an internship:
- Email your resume to Nicole.firstname.lastname@example.org
- Once your resume is received, you will received a link to the STEM Internship Application.
- Complete the Criminal Background Check Form (CBC).
- El Centro College Human Resources (HR) will run the CBC.
- While the CBC is processed, interested students will meet and discuss with the Grant Program Coordinator the different internship opportunities available according to each individual's degree plan.
- Students will participate in STEM workforce interview sessions and their resumes will be reviewed.
- Once the internship interest is determined, the student's resume will be sent to the respective companies.
- From this point business professional interviews will be set up.
- Once interviews have taken place, the company will decide who to hire (limited to one internship per student).
- All internships are paid at a rate of $10.25 per hour. Students are allowed to work up to 19 hours a week.
To learn more about the STEM internship, take a look at the STEM Internship Student Information Form.
Resources for Current STEM Interns
- City of Dallas
- City of Lancaster
- El Centro College
- Botanical Research Institute of Texas (BRIT)
- Trinity River Audubon Center (TRAC)
- Dallas Zoo
- Dallas World Aquarium
- Latino Peace Officers Association (LPOA)
- John Bunker Sands Wetland Center
- The Design Factory
- The Dallas Morning News
- Among others...
Come meet us on campus!
STEM Center is located on the Mezzanine Floor in the C Building